LumberJocks

Craftsman Saw Rebuild #1: Intro and Gameplan!

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by inghamworkshop posted 08-28-2016 01:21 PM 300 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
no previous part Part 1 of Craftsman Saw Rebuild series Part 2: 113.29990 Cleaning Face Plate »

Hello everyone, it’s both my first post to the site and my first ever blog post all in one. I’ve been browsing the site for a few weeks now because I’ve been on the market for a new table saw and sort of fell in love with the idea of rebuilding a Craftsman 113.

Well after contacting a couple of people through my local Craigslist, today I went out and picked up not just one but two table saws.

The first saw I found and actually had a friend go and take a look at for me was a 113.29990. It was the original owner, he did upgrade the motor to a 2hp Chicago Pnuematic at some point. But it came with the cast iron wings, the fence an fence extension piece for the wings and the miter sled. He also through in some old Craftsman accessories that he had. Was able to walk away with that saw for $55. It definitely is going to be a project, but it was everything I was looking for an then some so I couldn’t say no.

This is right before I had to disassemble it to fit into my truck to bring home. I’m planning on a complete tear down an rebuild, the eventual plan being to integrate it into some sort of table saw station that will be mobile an butt up to a Paulk style workbench/outfeed table.

During my search I had emailed on a newer 113 and finally got in contact with the owner and on my way to pick up the saw above, I stopped to look at this one and he offered it to me for $40 so I couldn’t say no. It’s in better shape than the Model 100 and I plan to clean it up and use it for some immediate projects and eventually pass it on to a friend of mine whose just getting his garage in order.

The mess in my truck after loading these up to take home.



3 comments so far

View Phil's profile

Phil

22 posts in 103 days


#1 posted 08-28-2016 11:15 PM

I’ve got a 113.29960 my FIL passed down to me, incorporated into a mobile saw/router station like you mention. It works great, better than some newer saws (FIL bought a RIDGID hybrid saw & says he sometimes wants the Craftsman back!). I added a Biesmeyer fence to mine – the original fence was a little sloppy & I was spending too much time measuring & adjusting instead of cutting.

You can see it at the center of my workshop:

I can post a couple of other pictures if you are interested.

-- Phil

View inghamworkshop's profile

inghamworkshop

7 posts in 98 days


#2 posted 08-29-2016 03:02 AM

Hi Phil,

That looks great, I’d love to see more pictures of the saw and the work station. Curious how you set up the back for clearance for the motor.

I started tearing mine down today and it went really smoothly. I’ve got a long road ahead of me though, quite a bit of surface rust on the case an the aluminum face on the front is covered in something. Going to have to research how to clean an polish that.

View Phil's profile

Phil

22 posts in 103 days


#3 posted 08-30-2016 12:11 AM

Here are front and back pictures of my setup, nothing fancy:

Storage underneath holds saw blades, router bits, and other stuff (dado blades, molding head, featherboards, etc). It’s a bit of a pain to access – if I was building this today, I would put in drawers not doors for sure. Kick down door stops on both sides keep it from moving – a little more secure than locking casters. Router table is a Rockler HPL that is starting to show its age & I am thinking about replacing. I had to cut a dado in the underside when I installed the back rail on the fence.

The motor just kind sticks out the back. Not ideal, but I’m still trying to figure out how to attach an outfeed table that won’t be more trouble than it’s worth to set up and take down. Saw an infeed table on here the other day that attached with magnets, that might work.

Good luck with the rebuild on your saw. Hard to tell from the picture, but it almost looks like there was a plastic layer over the Craftsman “label” that has bubbled – looks like the window tint in my 99 Mazda. Not sure there is anything you can do about that other than remove it. I think ammonia would do it, but I’m not sure if that would damage the aluminum or not.

-- Phil

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com