The monks bench has now been completed and with it the last item of the Pews Project.
This is just as well because I really had to improvise and glue up a lot of bits and pieces in order to salvage sufficient timber to complete the bench
The lid is hinged to provide a useful storage space underneath. I made mitred corners on the front panel and seat backrest and I prefer this look to conventional 90 degree joints.
The bench was finished with three coats of pre cat lacquer cut back with wire wool dipped in paste wax. This combines durability with a traditional soft lustre appearance.
The joinery was primarily pocket hole screws reinforced with good quality glue and to ensure strength i used plenty of both.
In my next blog i will review the lessons I learned from working with reclaimed timber.
-- chris, north wales http://salemchapelfurniture.co.uk/