So after a bit of delays and figuring out how I was going to do these exactly I finally got done with making and mounting the drawers.
A large part of the delay is that this part of the plan was left very much an open question. I did not know if I was going to use drawer slides, hardware slides, under mount, side mount…these are my first drawers so I had no idea what the heck I was doing.
I decided to make flush mount drawers with a cherry front and maple sides and back. For the bottom I used some of the 1/4” plywood I had around the garage, and they would be assembled with a Whiteside Drawer lock bit. I was very happy with the quality of the bit, but I did not get the even an consistent results I was hoping for. The drawers were 3”, 4”, and 7” tall, but much longer and deeper. Without proper a proper miter slide or support from the back the boards had a tendency to rack so some of the routed areas came out a little off. All this made getting the drawers to be square also a bit difficult.
For the mounting I chose hardwood (hard maple) rails that they would slide on, mounted to the side of the case. To mount I drilled oversize holes, applied glue to the back of the rail, and tightened them down so that they would stay put but could move if I apply a little force. I slide on the drawer (which had a routed groove to receive the rail), and adjust until the gap is as even as possible and they are able to slide in and out freely. Once that is done I removed the drawer and heightened the rail down fully. Overall this worked well, but 2 of the drawers are still a bit tight, though I think that is because the drawer itself is not perfectly square.
So far this has actually been the hardest part of the project, getting these drawers done. A few stick just a little, and the gaps around the drawers are not perfect, but I am still overall happy with the results.