So being that this is my first entry into the realm of real furniture making I wanted to make sure I was diligent in my design step. As such I did the whole design in SketchUp first.
- I will be making this with a combination of cherry and maple. Maple is just for the side of the drawers to add a little contrast.
- The frame is assembled with mortise and tenon joints and the top is going to be laminated with a few pieces. The little panels are going to be solid cherry, even though looking back I should have just made those out of cherry plywood.
- The drawer bottoms and the back panel are going to be plywood.
- The drawers will be hung just on hardwood runners, made of hard maple.
- I wanted to keep this overall pretty simple from a design aspect. The only place I really added a touch of additional detail outside of the main structural elements are the light curve on the bottom in between the legs and the divider on the side panels to break them up a little.
The total dimensions are going to be 1’10” tall, 1’ 6” wide, and 1’ 4” deep
This picture shows the ‘exploded view’