LumberJocks

Dewalt 746 Restoration #7: Sliding table mounted. Upgrade customization in progress (Bisemeyer fence fits!)

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by ihadmail posted 03-05-2017 03:05 AM 1550 reads 1 time favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 6: Painted, going back together. Part 7 of Dewalt 746 Restoration series Part 8: Finishing touches »

When I was ordering parts for this saw, I found that a broken piece of the fence system was obsolete. As I was racking my brain on how to repair it or what to replace it with a guy posted a new old stock Biesemeyer BC30 fence system on Craigslist for $150. I did some quick research and saw it didn’t fit the Dewalt but at least one person had made it work. I picked the kit up that day.

Today I set out to get the sliding table mounted. This sounds simple, but the table mounts on bars that are attached via the fence system. I had my work cut out for me on this one. I’m sorry but I didn’t take many progress photos as this became very frustrating very fast.

First up was to fit the front Bisemeyer angle iron to the front of the table. It turned out the two largest holes in it lined up and were the correct height for the holes in the table top. I marked off where I would need to perform some angle grinder surgery and went to town.

There were multiple iterations of bolting it up, marking it and then making an adjustment. After what seemed like an eternity of fitting, marking, cutting, repeating I finally got the angle to fit around the miter slots and the sliding table. It’s not the prettiest but it’s what I could do with a 4” grinder and it’s functional.

From here I mounted everything up, including the front sliding table support and marked where to drill new holes in the angle to mount it. Then it was to the drill press to progressively drill out the holes then counter sink them. This all went very smoothly and I mounted and aligned the front supports.

Since the Bisemeyer system doesn’t rely on the rear rail for anything I opted to just reuse the Dewalt fence system rear rail. This may have been a mistake. I’ll get into that later.

Next up was to mount and level the sliding table. This was fairly straight forward but needed a couple of tweaks as it wanted to shift some as I tightened the bolts.

Now that I have added quite a bit of rail real estate to the right of the table, the factory stamped steel extension wasn’t large enough. I have a Bosch router table with the aluminum top so I thought it would be pretty simple to mount it there. I laid it out with some clamps and marked where to drill my holes. Those holes went in quickly and all but one pretty much lined up. One hole ended up being directly in the middle of a support rib so it was unusable. Two other holes had to have the nearby support ribs massaged with my dremel in order to get a washer to fit.

The biggest issue came when I started aligning and mounting the router table. I mounted it to the Bisemeyer angle iron first as that was one of the most structurally sound pieces to mount it to. I had to really fight the opposite corner at the table to get it up high enough to be flush. I don’t know for sure but I believe the sides of this router table may not be perfectly square with the top. After a lot of shimming, tightening, realizing it had shifted and starting over I finally got that corner flush with the table top. I noticed as I was fighting with the final corner, the back furthest from the table saw top, that the Dewalt angle iron I was mounting it to had a decent amount of flex in it. After many breaks and much frustration I finally decided it was close enough and called it quits.

It was getting late but I threw the Bisemeyer square tube on so I could mark where it needed surgery. I also checked out the fit of the actual fence. It fits and slides great everywhere except the far right of that router table. The ridges machined in it make it a little difficult to position, but it’s manageable for the rare time that I’ll ever have it set that far out. I do almost all of my sheet good work with my track saw.

Here’s how it sits until I get time to do some more cutting on the fence system and get the motor/router/etc all mounted up.



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com