It’s been a while as I have been away but here is my progress on the table.
I have levelled the tabletop using a large belt sander and a straight edge, quite a time consuming job but I think the end result was worth the time.
Then I hit it with an orbital sander using a few different grades of paper. Here is a pic after the first coat of Weatherfast Polyclear boat varnish, I decided not to fill the many holes as I want it to look as natural as possible. The varnish has really brought out the many different colors in the wood and has done wonders for the raw edge.
I had some redgum left over from the last turntable project but not enough for the legs I had in mind so I found some nice contrasting hardwood to use with the redgum for the legs. I am doing three legs so it doesn’t wobble.
Here is leg timber joined with biscuits
Here are the legs shaped and the edge to be joined cut to 2×60 degree edges so I will be able to butt the 3 of them together (they are shown upside down while drying) I have also cut the two slots for the keys so the legs will be strongly held together when joined. I have given them their first coat of finish before joining them all together, I have done a dry run of assembling and it will be a bit tricky to get everything together at once.
I will be dowelling the table top to the legs when the legs are finished.
-- "These are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others." ... Cheers, David from Sydney Australia