LumberJocks

Tool gloat: UNISAW!

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by ic3ss updated 1172 days ago 8 parts 19521 reads 39 comments total

Part 1: Take it apart, clean it up, put parts on order

1192 days ago by ic3ss | 5 comments »

Several years ago I bought my first table saw, a Delta shopmaster cheapo model. I think I paid $100 brand new at HD. I needed it to complete a wood molding job around the house. It worked for what I needed at the time, and afterwords, I actually avoided using it because it was such a POS. The throat plate is recessed about 1/16” below grade and stock always catches on it. Whatever, it was cheap and I got what I paid for I guess. Well, now I’m finding myself getting serious ...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Parts arrive early.

1190 days ago by ic3ss | 8 comments »

So I had a new power switch on order from Grizzly, and it came in yesterday so I was able to mount it on the original box, but I have to stop there with it because the box mounts to the table and the table is off the saw for now. I basically have to re-do all the electrical on this saw. A previous owner replaced a broken switch with a 20 amp light switch. It worked, but it just didn’t sit well with me. The wire insulation was starting to get brittle at the motor, and it had an old style...

Read this entry »


Part 3: I have the POWER!!!

1185 days ago by ic3ss | 10 comments »

Yesterday I had my electrician buddy over for dinner and plied him with beer and BBQ steak so I could get the lowdown on the right way to get 220v to my table saw. I made a late run yesterday to home depot and bought 30ft of 12/2 SJ cable, a 20amp breaker, cable plug, 20amp socket, a box, and 15ft of 12/2 romex. This morning, I found that the plug and the socket that the HD “expert” gave me yesterday were of differing types. The plug was 20amp 220v and the socket was 20amp 110v. S...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Now I'm on the fence.

1184 days ago by ic3ss | 2 comments »

The last couple of days I’ve been staring at the fence and all of it’s parts sitting on the garage floor waiting for some attention. This is a home made T-square type fence. It looks like someone tried to make a Biesemeyer on the cheap. The steel looks to be put together ok, on the surface at least, but it has no glide pads so it’s kind of hard to move it on the table. I decided that it will cost me about $40 in glide pads including shipping, and some elbow grease cleaning i...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Mobile base, cable holder, and more fence work.

1179 days ago by ic3ss | 2 comments »

My mobile base arrived last Thursday and I’ve been chomping at the bit to get my work week over so I could put it on the saw. Today it went together pretty easy with one exception: the directions have some problems. If you buy one of these, HTC3000 Heavy Duty base, it tells you that you need a 1/2, a 7/16 and some other wrenches all standard sizes. NOT!!!! This thing is metric through and through. It was a small annoyance but once I realized what was going on, it went together really ea...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Mending fences

1178 days ago by ic3ss | 9 comments »

Over the last few blog entries, I’ve included pictures of my fence and rails sitting outside drying fresh coat of black paint. This fence that came with the saw is someone’s shop build of a T-Square fence. It was in rough shape on the surface, but looks like it’s in pretty good shape and could benefit from a couple of tune-up items. The angle iron rides directly on the guide tube, metal on metal, lacking the smooth movement that something like a Biesemeyer fence has. See, th...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Rail and fence adjustment

1177 days ago by ic3ss | 0 comments »

I decided the easiest way to get the space to accommodate the guide tube was to file down the locking cam. I found a pretty slick way to do this while ensuring that I don’t file any flat spots on the cam. I stuck a small file down in between the cam and the locking shoe and used the shoe to press the file against the cam, and ran the locking handle up and down. I think I filed off about 0.10”, just enough to make the difference. Then I had to drill and tap holes to mount th...

Read this entry »


Part 8: . . . and done!

1172 days ago by ic3ss | 3 comments »

I finally got the time to go to woodcraft this week and I picked up a piece of 3/4” UHMW poly to be used for a fence face. It sat until today, Easter, when I got the time to work on it. I cut it to length, cut the top corners off at a 45ยบ and cleaned up the edges with a file. I counter sunk the screw holes and tapped the steel .for the 1/4-20 stainless steel screws. I didn’t have the fence supported very well on the drill press, so a couple of the holes in the steel...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase