After a long morning drinking my coffee and thinking about alternatives to keep working, I drove to the lumber yard and got a piece of baltic birch to make the flattening sled out of. When I came back I took my bent saw blade out and put a crescent wrench on the bent tooth. I moved it about three times and I think it may be useable. I soaked it in simple green to get the pitch off and I’ll try it tomorrow. I’m expecting that it’ll be a little rough but that’s ok. I’ll just delegate it to rough ripping work and get another blade for finish work.
With my newfound success in the area of saw blade salvaging, I took the gap stop out of the clamps and it fits perfectly in the top. Took it to the jointer and then sized it on the table saw, then set up the dado blades for the bottom recesses. I had an idea here. The bottom has a dado at each end where it sits on the top rails. It seems to me that it would be too much work to reach under the top and push up, then pinch the board at the top and have to pull it up. I could wear my hands out doing that. Why not make the dado on the left side have a 45 degree cut side on the inside, then a finger hole on the right side at the end to pick it up.
I think this is the only original idea I had so far for this project. I’m sure some folks out there have done this already, but I’ve not seen it. It works great too. I can lift the gap stop up using one finger now!
I still had some time so I decided to make the remaining dogs. It’s a bit tedious but I just think the top looks better with the holes filled with something, although it does look a bit funny from across the shop. Looks like it has teeth.
Tomorrow I’ll cut up the baltic birch and make the sled, then prep the 2×6 rails. Don’t know if I’ll get to flattening anything yet.
Thanks for reading, and have a great day.
-- "I am endeavoring, ma'am, to construct a mnemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bear skins."