So, my task today was to cut up a piece of maple I bought the other day to make the gap stop and get it glued up in the clamps and then go over to family for Easter dinner.
I set up the band saw and set about resawing the board into two halves. It went fine for the first 3/4 of the board then it was binding the blade and was not tracking straight, and not wanting to cut. I made a couple of adjustments, everything else looked fine in the setup. It just wouldn’t cut and was binding horribly. So I took it over to the leg vise and clamped it in, and went at it with my japanese pull saw, the one that has cut my hands so many times so far on this project. Well after cutting my left hand yet again, the freakin’ handle broke off and bent the tang.
I decided to finish the cut with my old dull hand me down panel saw. This worked ok but the kerfs missed each other. I had started cutting from each end earlier. They missed each other by about 1/4”.
Put the board up on edge on the workbench top and got my 3/8” stanley chisel. This isn’t anything nice, it’s what I use for grunt work ‘cause it was cheap. I drove the chisel in the edge to connect the kerfs to get these two pieces separated. The chisel went in all the way and got stuck. I tried to pull it out and the handle broke off. #$&$*&%#^#$%^&((&^%$#
After I got the chisel out I tried to hammer the handle back on but it is broke, trash, along with my pull saw and my resaw blade. DAMMIT!
Time for dinner, I’ve had it.
After dinner we came back home and I went back in with a renewed attitude toward my work ahead. I fired up the planer and got the two halves flattened and at the right thickness, then cut up pieces for the spacers and glued the gap stop together, and it’s even straight.
So next thing up is to make the runner for the deadman. I had a perfect piece, all I had to do was cut the 45 degree bevels and glue it onto the front rail. Started setting up the table saw, tilting the blade and I noticed it was binding. I instantly remembered that I had the zero clearance insert in and that doesn’t allow for blade tilt at all. I got it back to 90, took out the insert and then I found it: one of the teeth is bent to the left. ^&%(#&%^%(#&#%@%$@&$(%)_$^&%&%($(%&^%&$($.
I just bought this thing, it’s a Freud ripping blade, the best ripping blade I’ve ever used. I bought it just for this bench build and now it’s ruined, along with my resaw blade, and my pull saw, and my chisel. F#&%!!!!
Sorry for my crappy attitude, but I’ve had it. I wasn’t in the mood to take pictures of the carnage, so this will have to do for the week, maybe longer. I need a new blade, I need to get my combination blade sharpened before I can continue to do anything on this so I think I’m out of commission for a while.
I think I’m gonna’ go cry myself to sleep.
-- "I am endeavoring, ma'am, to construct a mnemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bear skins."