I put in an eleven hour day yesterday on this thing, the work was really kind of fun compared to the tedious work of digging out mortises of the day before. I’ve never tried the draw bore method of locking a mortise and tenon together. I didn’t even use clamps.
Well this morning I just had to get the tops to fit on the tenons, so after trimming back a couple of mortise surfaces they both fit down snugly, a very sweet fit. As a bonus, the sides of the tops ended up flush with the legs.
I had to go to the big box to get a Torx T50 socket driver for the four very large SPAX screws that hold the tops down. The socket was only $2, usually the ones I see are $4 or $5. So after that, I set about cleaning up the shop so it can be turned back in to a garage. My scrap total was pretty minimal I think. I have a small pile that will burn, some longer pieces are in the shed for future use, and then I have some pieces for the shelf.
Oh yea, the shelf. I still have a few things to do before it’s really done, but it’s good enough that I can end this blog where it’s at. I need to make the shelf mounts, the shelf boards, the deadman, the deadman runner, flatten the top, and shape the top of the leg vise chop with a curve or something similar to ease the top edge, and drill a bunch of dog holes in the top and the front right leg.
Last thing will be finish, what to finish it with. I’ve read where Chris Schwarz says any kind of oil, or leave it bare. He really sounds like it doesn’t matter much to him, except when it’s done with smooth shinny top, and finished in general with the perfection of furniture. I recognized this when I started. I’ve certainly made mistakes on this build, there are some ver minor alignment issues but nothing that can’t be fixed with a few strokes on a hand plane. They’re not major and don’t affect the functionality of the bench, so I’m not going to worry about it. It’s a bench, it’s going to get the crap beaten out of it over its lifetime, why make it have a beautiful finish.
I’ll probably put some B.L.O. on it and call it good, but I like the look of it bare so much that it may take some time for me to do that. We’ll see. It took six weeks to get it done. I was able to spend every day that I had off work on this project. Yes, I have a very understanding wife. So a six week long build for this bench is just about right. I know a lot of guys end up going many months, I’m just glad that I now have a real workbench with woodworking vises to work on. My next task is another piece of shop furniture: I need a cart to hold my planer, oscillating spindle sander, and a belt-disc sander.
Well, thanks for reading about my progress. Comments would be lovely, tell me what you think about finishing a bench, I’d like to know.
Have a great day.
-- "I am endeavoring, ma'am, to construct a mnemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bear skins."