Whew, my workweek is finally over and now I can have some fun. I’ve been thinking all week about today, particularly what I still need to get to push this project along. I needed a jig to cut the mortises, and I was looking at pattern bits and I came away with an education. Top bearing straight cut pattern bits are expensive. I didn’t want to spend that much so I went to woodcraft last week when I bought my last pieces of wood for the leg and rail, and picked up a guide bushing from Whiteside. I went with Whiteside at $16 instead of the cheap one because they include a centering mandrel. I think this is important because if the bit is not centered properly you can induce an offset if the router is rotated when routing out the pattern. I learned this a few years ago when I did some router inlay work. I also picked up a couple of hard maple dowel stock from Woodcraft for the draw bore joints.
So I laid out the lines for the mortise and the template edges on the legs, and then my wife called me away to go meet some friends for lunch. I didn’t want to leave it but I had to, and when I got back I made two jigs based on an article in wood magazine I think. I have a jig for the front and back rail because they are on the narrow face of the legs. I also made one for the top and bottom short rails, they attach to the wide faces of the legs. I also put two fences on each of them so they can be used to mortise on each side of the faces. See I was thinking ahead here, and I didn’t want to make six jigs. For the tenons that are wider I will put in a spacer in the jig.
I was waiting for the glue on the fences to dry and I just decided to call it a day a bit early. Tomorrow I’ll rout the mortises and dry fit the tenons. I’m not at the finish line but I can see it from here.
Thanks for reading, and have a great day.
-- "I am endeavoring, ma'am, to construct a mnemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bear skins."