I forgot to update last week. I didn’t get much done because I was busy fixing a mistake. In episode 6 I showed a picture of the end tenon and the lead screw channel cut out. The weird thing is that the huge mortise cut into the end of the tenon. The mortise was too wide and I didn’t notice until last week I was thinking about it when I was in bed. That’s when I do my best thinking. I got up in the morning and checked the drawing and I was right. The drawing says the mortise should be 2 – 5/16” from the edge of the top. When I was preparing for the mortise, I looked at that dimension probably 5 or 6 times before I cut into it and I saw 2 – 15/16” every time. The old saying of measure twice and cut once, well, I don’t know what to say here. I didn’t think I was in a hurry or anything like that, I just saw the wrong number and convinced myself that it was the same each time I looked at it I guess.
Oh, well. I was able to chisel the bottom very flat but I just took the high spots off of the side. I wanted to leave it a bit more open at the top and then cut a scrap piece to fit. I didn’t want to use glue with this kind of thing because it will have a huge gap on the side and it serves as the mounting surface for one of the tail vise rails so it has to be rock solid and not move at all. I’d never worked with epoxy in woodworking before so I did some reading. I see that West Systems is pretty common for woodworkers but for this job I can’t afford what they want for the smallest setup. Maybe later I can get set up with it, but for now I just need a single small job’s worth.
I went down to the big box and picked up a couple of Gorilla Glue epoxy syringe packages. I figured one should do it but if not I’ll have a second one.
So I got it all taped off and mixed the first one, and I tilted the filler piece out so I could get the epoxy in the bottom, spread it on the sides and then tilted it back up and poured it in the gap. Good thing I got the second one because I used all of that too.
While it was curing, I went back to the lumber yard and got a board for the front face of the top, and another walnut piece for the end cap. I still need another board for the gap stop, but that’s later I guess. The lumber selection is getting pretty thin, lots of defects.
So I spent the rest of last weekend marking and drilling out holes in the end cap. This is a fairly dark picture of it but I’ll show it again. More to come shortly so thanks for reading.
-- "I am endeavoring, ma'am, to construct a mnemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bear skins."