LumberJocks

Split Top Roubo Bench Build #6: Flattening and starting on the tail vise

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by ic3ss posted 03-05-2015 04:02 AM 1832 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 5: . . . and more gluing and planing Part 6 of Split Top Roubo Bench Build series Part 7: Fixing mistakes »

Last night I snuck out to the shop to take the clamps from the front top that I glued up earlier that day and used them to glue up two of the legs. I just had to get it done before bed. This morning I just let them sit as I had other stuff to do.

I started with flattening the bottom surface of the front top. I had to run it across the jointer in halves like I did with the back top and I thought I did ok but I realized that after running the top surface through the planer, that surface was not square with either of the sides. Both were twisted and bowed and showed opposite square error at the same place. ??? It took me a while but what I came up with was to reference my adjustments from the bottom surface and I ripped both sides on my trusty Unisaw. I had to flip end for end on each cut because the top is too thick. It’s still not perfect but it’s much better than it was, but it did cost me 3/16” in width that I’ll have to make up with the gap stop.

With that sorted out, I put it back on the sawhorses and drew the guide lines for the gap I have to cut out for the tail vise. The directions say to cut the tenon first. I really only had a couple of circular saws that could do this job, and with a guide rail clamped to the top I should have worked, and it almost did, but I think it just needed a new blade, or a more steady hand. I dunno, the kerf was a bit wavy despite the guide rail.

Then I had a thought. If I supported it well enough, I may be able to do it on the table saw sled. I had wifey poo come out to help me again. I had the top clamped to the sled fence and while she pushed the sled, I controlled the overhang. It worked pretty well and I ended up with a nice crisp and straight tenon shoulder. I just used mallet and chisel to knock off the faces of the tenon and it looks perfect.

So then I went to work with the router hogging out this chuck of hard maple for the tail vise.

This was a lot of work, and it’s still not completed. I ran out of daylight and it got cold. I really just have some finish work with a chisel to complete this part, so it will have to wait until next Sunday when I’m done working.

Thanks for reading, have a great day.

Wayne

-- "I am endeavoring, ma'am, to construct a mnemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bear skins."



1 comment so far

View Tugboater78's profile

Tugboater78

2446 posts in 1652 days


#1 posted 03-06-2015 03:27 AM

Progress is always a good thing!

-- "....put that handsaw to work and make it earn its keep. - summerfi" <==< JuStiN >==>=->

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com