LumberJocks

Split Top Roubo Bench Build #5: . . . and more gluing and planing

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by ic3ss posted 03-03-2015 11:44 PM 1681 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: More gluing Part 5 of Split Top Roubo Bench Build series Part 6: Flattening and starting on the tail vise »

This morning I was out in the shop by 10am, eager to go. Motrin is a wonderful thing. I took the now full width back half out of the clamps and grabbed a glue scraper and went to work. I was able to only get a little bit of the glue runs off, so I switched to my jack plane. I had a bit of an alignment issue with these boards so I had some fairly high spots to flatten out. I did the bare minimum with the plane until I was worn out, it didn’t take long.

Then I mustered all of my strength and lifted this beast up and put it on the jointer and a roller stand. It was a bit dicey at times but I was able to joint off about 3/16” by doing each side at a time. I’ll weigh it later but I estimate it to be around 130lbs. I got the high spots flattened out to a point that seemed ok to plane from. I really just eyeballed it but it really was ok. Set up another roller stand for the planer and moved the top again. I had jointed what will be the top surface, so I now planed the bottom surface.

I need to get this flat before doing anything else to the top. It has to be able to sit flat on the base, and only then will I flatten the top.

In the meantime, I was able to coax wifey-poo to come out to help me glue up the front half of the top. While she did an exemplary job of squeezing the glue out onto the faces, I spread it out with my credit card glue applicator. We glued together five boards and this time I used some cauls when I clamped them together so it should be much easier to deal with tomorrow.

I did realize that I made a mistake yesterday though. The drawings are very good, I just have to say that. But there is one spot that in my mind at least, it seems to lend itself to misunderstanding. It shows the shape and dimensions of the dog holes and you have to make a router jig with it.

It shows the dog with the pad facing the right. So I cut out my jig the same way. I then used the lines that I had drawn on the board to place the jig and routed away. The problem is that the dog holes are supposed to be routed in the board with the pads facing to the left. The difference is that the filler strip should be between the dog hole strip and the top. The way I did it, I have to have the filler strip between the dog hole strip and the front face of the top. I don’t think it’s a big deal, and I suspect this is a common mistake, oh well.

Well that’s it for today. Tomorrow I’ll take the front half out of the clamps and then glue up at least two legs. I don’t have a stick of maple for the front edge of the top or the plane stop strip, so I’ll have to make another trip to the lumber yard before next week.

Update: Ok, so I just checked and it weighs 107lbs. So I was off a bit.

Wayne

-- "I am endeavoring, ma'am, to construct a mnemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bear skins."



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com