With my jig glue up now dried, I tested the jig in each of the three knife positions with the pin through the jig and the bearing housing, fits like a glove.
Now I indexed the jig to the next positions of the cutter head and drilled the remaining two holes. The pin fits perfectly in all three positions.
So with the cutter head completed, now comes re-assembly. Here’s a picture showing the locking pin with it all the way into the cutter head, locking it in place so I can install the knives.
Ok, here’s where the rubber meets the road. I know this picture doesn’t show anything other than my setup for adjusting the knives. I was able to install all three knives in 5 minutes, with all three having + – 0.001” from end to end and from knife to knife, and I did all three in one try, never having to loosen and re-adjust and try again. I didn’t have to roll the cutter head back and forth to make sure my dial indicator said it was at top dead center, I didn’t cut myself, and most importantly, it was stupid-easy and I was done in a few minutes.
Now I’m sure there’s some of you more experienced guys out there that can do this in the same time with one hand tied behind your back while hopping on one foot. For me, I’d rather not have to spend the years fighting with and swearing at my tools before I get that good, I’d rather be cutting wood.
Thanks for looking, and have a great day.
-- "I am endeavoring, ma'am, to construct a mnemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bear skins."