LumberJocks

Tool gloat: UNISAW! #4: Now I'm on the fence.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by ic3ss posted 04-13-2011 01:54 AM 2297 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: I have the POWER!!! Part 4 of Tool gloat: UNISAW! series Part 5: Mobile base, cable holder, and more fence work. »

The last couple of days I’ve been staring at the fence and all of it’s parts sitting on the garage floor waiting for some attention. This is a home made T-square type fence. It looks like someone tried to make a Biesemeyer on the cheap. The steel looks to be put together ok, on the surface at least, but it has no glide pads so it’s kind of hard to move it on the table. I decided that it will cost me about $40 in glide pads including shipping, and some elbow grease cleaning it up, so if I can end up with a good fence it will be worth it to try. I also have to get a new sacrificial face to mount to it. I’m thinking of using UHMW from Woodcraft http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2000897/2580/UHMW-Sheet-14-Thick.aspx for the fence face.

I put only one light coat on for today. The sun was out and I think it got up to about 60 degrees today, so it wasn’t hot. I’ll wait at least ‘till tomorrow before putting on a second coat.

I used a razor blade, a wire brush and some 100 grit sandpaper to clean off all of the old adhesive and rust, then wiped it down and set it out in the sun so I could paint it. I have a can of appliance epoxy left over from when I restored a Stanley No.8 jointer plane several months ago. It’s a nice and hard finish, and it’s black.

With the fence curing it’s first coat of appliance epoxy, I pulled out the miter gauge and cleaned up the bar a little, and waxed it. It was in pretty good shape so I didn’t need to do much to it. Not sure how much I’ll really use it, I don’t have very good luck with miter gauges. It’s the original Rockwell gauge so I guess I’ll keep it.

In one of my replies on the last blog post, I talked about the motor cover and was complaining about how the screws didn’t want to come out. Well, I took another look at them today and ran the screws through a die, and ran a tap down in the ends of the standoffs. They cleaned up really good. Three of the standoffs are still screwed into the cabinet but I just don’t have the muscle to get the damn things out, so I just left them in and screwed the cover on. It tightened good, and comes off fine so I don’t think there should be any issues with it. Except for the numbers someone wrote on the back of the cover with a permanent marker, it looks o.k.

My weekend is over and I’ve got to go back to work tomorrow, so I should have the next post maybe on Sunday. My mobile base comes in on Thursday so that will make it easier to work on the saw as I’ll be able to pull it out, spin it around, and put it back when I’m done. Thanks for looking.

- Wayne

-- "I am endeavoring, ma'am, to construct a mnemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bear skins."



2 comments so far

View Cosmicsniper's profile

Cosmicsniper

2199 posts in 1912 days


#1 posted 04-13-2011 03:17 PM

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date on your progress, Wayne. There’s not a saw made today that can compare to the quality of your vintage Unisaw.

-- jay, www.allaboutastro.com

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

13347 posts in 2427 days


#2 posted 04-19-2011 03:10 PM

Thanks for keep us updated.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase