So I had a new power switch on order from Grizzly, and it came in yesterday so I was able to mount it on the original box, but I have to stop there with it because the box mounts to the table and the table is off the saw for now. I basically have to re-do all the electrical on this saw. A previous owner replaced a broken switch with a 20 amp light switch. It worked, but it just didn’t sit well with me. The wire insulation was starting to get brittle at the motor, and it had an old style 20 amp plug on the end, the kind with the two horizontal spades. There’s no way I was about to re-use that so I tossed it all. I was at Lowes yesterday pricing cable and stuff, and I decided I want a 20ft long cord to allow my Uni to sit about anywhere in the garage. I also have an electrician friend coming over this Sunday to help me put in a new 30amp breaker and run conductors to a new 220vac plug we’ll put in the wall above my bench, conveniently right next to the panel. This little operation I estimate will cost about $100 including buying the 20ft long 10/3 cable I need to run to the saw switch. I also need a few feet to run from the switch to the motor.
So the switch sits on the bench until Sunday.
Today however, my new arbor bearings came in a day early. I had all the parts laid out on the bench, so I put the arbor shaft in the freezer, then put the first bearing on after it was good and frozen. Not sure if the temp treatment really helped at all, I still had to use my bearing puller to get it back on. Oh well, it was worth a shot. I looked at the arobr when I cut the old v-belts off and it seemed to turn fine with a little grinding noise, but it felt smooth. I’m really glad I decided to change them because when I got the old ones out last week they felt terrible turning them in my hand. They were noisy and very rough. Now the new bearings are on, it just turns so smooth and quiet now. With the arbor back together, and sitting on the elevation shaft, I turned my attention to the drive belts. After reading much about the segmented link belts I decided they were worth a try. I must say, they are spendy, and for a Unisaw I needed 75 inches worth.
Now I’ve read a lot of stuff out there where people swear up and down that you can’t use these belts in a multi-belt configuration. In all the places I’ve read this, not one person has been able to give a reasonable explanation of why not. So far I’m only hearing people say “Well that’s just what I’ve heard”. It doesn’t make any sense to me, the belts don’t touch anything but the pulleys, they don’t touch each other. I say BS!!
Anyway, enough of my rant. I counted the length and I needed 35 links on each belt and that will make the motor sit right in the middle of it’s movement range. After it runs for a while, I’ll check it again, adjust the motor or maybe remove a link from each belt if needed.
Well, that’s all I had time for today. I start my work week tomorrow so nothing else until Sunday.
-- "I am endeavoring, ma'am, to construct a mnemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bear skins."