All I have left as far as construction goes is the inner frame and muntins. The inner frame will actually hold the mirror in.
I began by cutting all the pieces to size.
The joinery for the inner frame is a bunch of half lap joints, which I cut on the table saw using the sled and a stop block.
Then I glued the frame together in a couple of different steps. The first step was gluing the muntins to the top rails. I put it together inside the mirror frame to keep things square.
After that, I glued the stiles to finish. Then I filed and sanded down the spots where the half lap joints were a little proud.
Finally, I glued the whole thing to the inside of the mirror frame where it goes. I cut some spacers and put them underneath to get it to the spot where it was supposed to go.
It was at this point I realized that I had cut the half laps for the muntins on the wrong side. I was being so careful, too. I need to get in the habit of marking waste areas.
You can see in the picture below the joints I wanted to hide. They are front and center now. Dang it.
I guess once I do some staining it won’t be so noticeable except for from up close.
So, here is where I’ve left off at:
I’m kind of stuck here until I can afford some stain. It’s made of pine, so I’m either going to use a gel stain as was recommended to me by another LJ, or I will use a pre-color conditioner and then stain, which I’ve read about for pine. I’ll do some more research until the time comes.
Thanks for reading.
-- Chris, http://www.youtube.com/CMRwoodworks , Proverbs 16:9