First, I put some 1” screws into the front fence to help keep the two halves together. Those smaller holes are the shelf pin holes that were part of the bookshelf I made this sled from.
I then started attaching the rear fence. I put a few 2.5” screws from underneath.
Then I put some 5/8” screws into the runners from underneath.
When I started setting up to put the front fence up I realized that it was so tall I wouldn’t be able to reach the stock I was trying to cut to hold it in place. That’s when I figured out why people trim both ends of the fences for their sleds. I thought it was just decorative before. So I took the jigsaw out and cut it the same as the rear.
That was much better and it looks better too.
I bought a square the other day for the sole purpose of the next step – aligning the fence to the blade.
I used more 2.5” screws for this fence as well.
I decided to add some danish oil at least to add a little color the rear fence.
Then I ran it through the blade. It turned out pretty well for my purposes until I can afford to build one with all real wood. I’m happy with it.
I do plan on adding a blade guard, but I just need to figure out how to go about it.
Thanks for reading.
-- Chris, http://www.youtube.com/CMRwoodworks , Proverbs 16:9