My previous post was about making the runners. After they dried I ran both halves through the saw to square them to the blade. They came out pretty good. I just need to get some small screws to help secure the runners.
Then I started working on the fences. I’m using all scrap wood, so I found the best piece I could for the rear fence and cut it out similar to what you usually see in a lot of pictures of crosscut sleds online. I basically just removed some bulk to make it lighter.
The curves came out pretty rough because my 20tpi clean cut jig saw blade was too short to reach all the way through, so I had to use an 8tpi. I only sanded this fence to 100 grit. It’s not like it’s gonna be a pretty sled anyway.
Then I used one of the shelves from the bookcase (see previous post) and cut it in two for the rear fence. I then glued them together. I went with double thickness because it is particle board and I’m scared just one wouldn’t be strong enough. I’ll get some screws to help hold them together also. I don’t think the painted surfaces will allow a very tight glue bond.
They dried for a couple of days and then today I ran it through the table saw and chop saw to clean up all the edges.
I was going to screw the rear fence down tonight, but my drill battery was dead so it will have to wait until tomorrow.
-- Chris, http://www.youtube.com/CMRwoodworks , Proverbs 16:9