Well…the temp outside dropped pretty quickly (lower 80’s) this evening and I was able to get out in the garage and work on the base some more. I had a noble idea of hand chiseling the mortises for the rest of the base. I don’t mind doing this, but I want to get this base done so I abandoned that idea this evening. After chiseling last night for a couple hours and this evening for a bit more I decided I needed to utilize the tools at hand. I proceeded to turn on the drill press with a 3/4” forstner bit and cleaned out the two mortises in about 10 minutes. I still have quite a bit of clean up, but the majority of the material is out.
I made a slight mistake in cutting the pieces for the rails. I cut them to the exact finished length and left myself no room for error during glue up. Well….I had error and the shoulders were not even so I had no choice but to add material that will be cut to make the lengths perfect. I only needed about 1/32” but I figured it would he easier to glue the thicker piece. I’m taking notes at every turn on this project. I love it!!
-- Mike, Charlotte, NC