A quick project for a Sunday afternoon.
I guess this doesn’t qualify as an official project since the only wood cut was from the scrap block in my drill press.
My wife gave me this bow saw last Christmas. The saw was ready to go except the blade was dull and rusty so I investigated replacement blades. I did consider cutting a bandsaw blade into 12” lengths and may yet give this a try. The Gramercy Tool web page has a lot of information on these tools and after trying their saw at the last Woodworking in America I ordered several sets of blades. If you are interested in making or buying one of these saws I would recommend checking out their web page.
The blades are essentially 12” coping saw blades and arrived with pins in place…
The bottom blade is the original one from the saw.
Some minor problems, my saw requires that one of the pins be removable, these pins are too short, and the blade is a little too long for my saw.
So some modifications are required.
First the pins must go. I have handy pliers for removing tapered pins in clocks and they were perfect for pushing the pin all the way to one side. A light tap with a punch and the pin is out.
Once the pin has been removed it is necessary to locate the new holes. These blades must be pretty hard judging by the shallow dimple my center punch left. So to drill the holes I used a carbide bit. This may have been an unnecessary precaution and I may try another bit when I drill the rest of the blades as the carbide is pretty unforgiving.
I have a few taper pins, but if you only need one or two then they are easy to file by hand. Clearly, the pin is too long.
Wire cutters leave a sharp edge. I was taught never to use a taper pin in a clock with this rough edge. You could chuck the pin in a collet in your lathe but the simplest method is to chuck it in a pinvise in a cordless drill.
Sharp burr removed. No cut fingers or snagged clothes.
Next, the Dremel with flexible shaft (Poor man’s Fordham) makes short work of trimming the blade to the correct length.
Finally, the blade is installed and works beautifully. Now to repeat the process on the rest of the blades.
All work was done under the close supervision of the shop dog…
-- Troy in Melrose, Florida