This afternoon I was able to get a couple hours in, to start the shaping of the table top.
I started out by grinding the whole interior, to see how the grinding effect would work.
then I went with my sanding drum to do the primary shaping, and touched off with my grinder on the face side of the top edges.
then I applied the light color stain as a base coat, to the entire top including the edges.
then I went with the dark stain, first to the edges, put on with a brush and wiped it off, then I took this beat up old brush, that has its bristles mushroomed out, and dipped it in stain then blotted on the top especially at the glue joints, a little area at a time, then took a rag and dabbed it, to give the top a mottled effect, like a burl.
that’s all for todays progress, next I’ll permanently assemble it to its frame, I decided not to hinge the top, because I want to see how well this will sell on its own merits, without needing to add any extra features.
when I get it fully assembled and polyurethaned and buff the top, I’ll post the picture in the next blog entry.
have fun in the shop…