A neighbor of ours aked if I could do a commision project for him, to build a display stand, He gave some dimensions, and said it could be made from scrap lumber, he wil stain it himself.
So I went on the innernet, and looked for images of antique display stands to give me a starting point to work from.
I found this and printed it out and put it in my workfolder to take into my shop.
as I studied it, I sen it had some unusual joinery that I never seen, so I decided it would be interesting to blog this, to show some of this unique joinery and my methods to build it.
I edge joined and ripped down a 2X8 I had and then glued them together to give me blanks of 3”X 2-3/4” to be made into the legs. Then I ripped them to final square sizes of around 2-5/8”x26”
Then I processed the boards to be used for the top skirting.
In the picture it shows the skirt mitered into one side of each leg, and the miter starts close to the middle of the face of each leg. so as I was laying out the angles on my workpieces, I realized to make the miter on the middle of the leg, I could not use a 45 deg. angle miter, with the width of the skirt I was using, so because of that, I had to come up with my own angle that would work. This ended up being 28 deg., to allow the miter on the skirt to fit a miter cut in the middle face of the leg.
With my miter saw I could swing it to 28* and cut the skirting miters easily, They would sit (parrallel to the saw fence) as normal mitering operation,, however the miters on the legs, would not work, because they need to be mitered when they are in a vertical position (perpendicular to the saw fence)
So a quick jig took care of that.
I decided I wanted the skirt to be setting outside of the legs via a rabbet cut on the miter, instead of flush to the leg.
So I cut the rabbet, using my table saw and nibbled away the miter adge of the skirting.
This is the inside of the legs and skirt assembly, at the miter joints.
Now its time to dowel the joints,
Then I will insert burnt ended dowels into the holes for decorative, this means I want the dowels to be in line following parrallel to the miter of the skirt.
So some laying out and the holes placements.
I decided to drill the dowel holes straight through the legs into the end of the skirts.
Now time to seat the skirt boards in and drill through the leg holes into the skirts.
now the assembly of one side,
and as all the sides come together,
and then after some millwork on the legs and skirts boards the final assembly and glued and finished build. The top was made from several 3/4” pine boards glued up and stacked (moldings) to give a thick appearance.
It was a fun build, the challenge was coming up with the mitering method for this kind of configuration.