In the process of building the base, I did what I do best… I screwed up. This time the screw up was adding incorrectly. After a little discussion with my fellow LJ’s, I decided to cut more lumber and start over.
I ran a bunch of lumber through the planner. While I have this connected to my dust collector, I’m amazed how much shavings still end up on the floor.
I felt half laps would provide me the best strength and support for this project, especially since the planer and drill weigh about 175 pounds. Having never done this and having never used a dado blade, I decided to use my Radial Arm Saw and chew up the wood with a standard blade; 1/16th at a time. Using a combination square, I determined the depth of the cut, and used stop blocks to take care of the rest. This was time consuming, but thankfully I only had 10 cuts to make.
A friend of mine introduced me to threaded inserts. I made a small pilot hole, then brought it to the drill press to control the depth and straightness of the hole. I then screwed the inserts in by hand.
Since I don’t have a Kregs Pocket Hole jig, I was able to make a similar type hole using my counter sink drill bit.
Once you flip the table, you have to have same way of locking it in place. There are several ways to do this.. To lock my table and prevent it from flipping I choose to use a simple pin method – one in the front right corner and one in the back left corner. I happened to have a couple of satin hinge pins that are perfect for the job.
Well after all of this… I find the holes in table were not drilled square to the frame! When I flip the table, it hits the frame. Looks like I have more work to do.