Phase one ended with the 4 upright post positioned for the pergola. And while the first 3 phases came together within a months’ time; phase 4 had a full years delay. I bought the cypress boards shortly after we were done with phase 3, but somehow I never got around to getting the work done. So one year later… I was glad to see the post stayed upright and except for a little twisting were good to go.
It’s tough to store 2×10x12 cypress, so for 9 months they just laid on saw horse outside. By the time I began the mold and mildew was full bore, and they were turning that ugly gray. I wish I had a good photo of just how dirty and grayed out they were. But this gives you some idea.
My trust Ridgid Jig Saw was used to cut out the patterns on the ends
I used a product by Flood, simply called “Wood Cleaner.” I’ve used it in the past to restore old fences. It’s amazing and does not damage the wood.
Attaching the 2×4 stringers (think that’s what real carpenters call this piece.)
Applying Flood’s CWF-UV5 in the Honey Gold Tint. CWF stands for Clear Wood Finish. The grains in the wood just POP with this product. I’m sure others make a great stain, but Flood is top notch.
(side note – stained my neighbors fence with Thompsons and did mine with flood. 3 years later, my fence shows no sign of color lose or graying.)
Putting it together with the help of the “third hand” from Fast Cap (that’s the red pole on the following photos.) I’ve commented about these in previous postings. I find these jewels to be a great help on many project. They come in a variety of sizes, I only have the large ones, but want to get the smaller sizes.
In the first three photos, the third hand is holding the piece in position for me. In this photo I’m using it to actually push the bow (warp) out of the 2×4 before I screw the cypress fascia in place.
Da little women getting into the act.
Done with phase 4! We started this project in Aug 2011 and this photo shows it’s completion in Sept 2012.
Here is what it looks like as I am finally getting around to posting the project, Dec 2013. (Sorry – wrong time of the day to get the best shots, the sun is too strong and not in the best position.)
And even a little “fungus among us.”