A dry run was performed first. Evidently, the original threaded rod that came with the plane is not very straight. The tote will rock back and forth as the threaded rod is being tightened. I can see how such rod can put a lot of stress on the tote and contribute to the breakage. The plane’s original rod will not do. Fortunately, I have another one on hand. Though it is not perfect either but the rocking motion was drastically reduced.
After the dry run I had to move my project to a better lit location. I had to study a bit to ensure the correct orientation of the wood chip. I decided to glue the wood chip first. A dap of glue was brushed on the top half of the tote where the chip location was at. I got the orientation correctly as far as inside and outside orientation. Because of the glue blocks my view, it was basically a trial and error fit. I did have to use the other half for trial fit. Excess glue was wiped off to check for proper fit. So it took a few minutes to get it where it needs to be.
I let the wood chip sit on for a few minutes before gluing the totes back together. This time I brush glue on to the break surface of both half. Both half of the tote was hand fitted together. I set the tote back on the plane at its’ proper position. With the nut in place on the threaded rod, I proceed to tightening the rod. I wasn’t happy, because the tote still rocks back and forth as the rod was being tightened. The crack point opened up. I gave up. I switch back to the rubber band method that I have used in the past. The picture shown should be self-explanatory. Now, there is nothing to do but to wait.
-- I'll be a woodworker when I grow up. HHHOPKS