No different then painting the house. The trick is the preparation. That is the part that takes the most amount of time. The actual painting part goes very fast. I took the time to mask off the area that I didn’t want get painted. I didn’t want to have to scrape off the over spray. I took the time to mask off these areas. Tape and newspaper were used. Since my wife had previous compliant about my can spraying projects in the basement, I am doing in the garage with the garage door open. Here are a few photos that show what the components of the vise looks like right before the paint job.
I sprayed on two coats of primer and two/three coats of gloss black. The color was chosen because that’s what I got left over from a previous project and should be good enough for this vise. Basically I follow the paint manufacturer instruction. It does dry quickly. I have never trusted the handling time. Yes, you could touch it up but you better not have anything hard touching it. From experience the paint is still soft and will scratch very easily. It will take a week or two for the paint to harden. So handle the painted components with care. Here are the pictures of the components with after it has been painted with the masking material removed.
I probably should of waited for a week before assemble but I couldn’t help myself. I went ahead and reassembled the woodworking vise back together. This type of woodworking vise doesn’t seem to be part of collector’s interest. Will it be someday? Who knows. So for $25.00 and hours of fun, is it worth it? Here is what it looks like (Before and after).
Lubrication: After during a quick research evidently there are three choices
1. Oil, light oil, WD40….etc.
2. Wax, paste was.
3. Dry lubricant (commonly used on bicycle chains).
I think I’ll try the dry lubricant. You should able to get that at the auto store. Someone did mention to clean the old oil stuff to ensure no funny chemical reaction. I’ll probably let my vise sit for a while (It still have the WD40 on the guide and threaded rods.
The next step is to mount this woodworking vise on to its new home. I got sad news on this front. My TS motor has recently been burnt. No progress has been made on the workbench. So the workbench project is stalled, until I get the TS fixed or replaced (used saw with a warp iron table). Once I get my workbench back on track, I’ll post the final blog on mounting on this vise.
-- I'll be a woodworker when I grow up. HHHOPKS