Since rivergirl has built me a stool that is exactly the way that I wanted it to look I decided that I would build her a tool box as a way of reciprocating. I love the footstool and I think that she did a fine job on it and the wood and finish is just beautiful. It is as though rivergirl had read my mind about the way that I wanted my stool to look. rivergirl has told me that her stool has some flaws in it but I am sure that her tool box will also have some flaws in it so that is as it should be. Besides I want my foot stool to have character.
I started on this box Saturday afternoon instead of in the morning as I had hoped to; sometimes things just don’t go as planned. The box is 37-1/2 inches wide, 19-1/2 inches deep, and 20-1/2 inches tall. It is made out of birch plywood and will have 2 lower drawers that are approximately 18 inches wide by 18 inches long and 4 inches deep. The upper compartment will be approximately 36 inches wide by 18 inches deep and 10 inches tall. The top has 3 inches of clear space and, of course, is roughly the same width and depth as the upper compartment of the lower box. This will give rivergirl ample room for her tools until she has time to build her a better tool box after which she can use this one for a utility box. I regret that I didn’t have exactly the right wood and more time to build her a really nice box, but this will get her by for a while I hope.
After machining all of the parts it was necessary to dry fit everything together in order to make sure that the parts fit properly together.The first few pictures show this step.
In the picture above the back of the box is laying on it’s back and the box bottom and the bottom of the upper compartment are in their respective dadoes.
In the picture above the two sides are set in place with the mating tongues and dadoes holding them securely.
Finally the front that is just above the drawer compartment is set in place with the different respective dadoes holding them securely. After determining that all fit well I then took the carcass back apart.
In the picture above the case has been glued up and the clamps have been place strategically and allowed to sit while the glue dries.
After all of the pieces of the top were dry fitted I took them apart and applied the glue and after putting the pieces back together I applied the clamps. This step is seen in the picture above. The top assembly rests on the bottom cabinet assembly below as the glue dries.
After both the bottom and the top were dry I placed the top onto the bottom to check how well the top fit the bottom. The fit was not perfect but was acceptably close. The top sits on the bottom of the case in the picture above.
In the next three pictures three different views are shown.
The picture above shows the front face of the tool box with the two drawer openings at the bottom.
The picture above shows the same at a slightly higher angle.
And the last picture above shows a little more of the depth of the upper compartment.
I am enjoying building this box for rivergirl. There is still much to be done and the future steps will be shown in future segments of this project series.
By the way, I have not installed the hinges for the top yet. My two lovely daughters are standing behind the top while holding it up. They have been inside working and studying and are casually dressed with their pj’s on and didn’t want to be photographed. :) Thanks for looking.
-- If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. Henry David Thoreau