Well, I have been browsing the LJ site for quite some time now and decided to blog about my recent dive into a hand plane restoration. I will forewarn everybody that I am just starting out in woodworking so correct me where I err and tips/comments are welcomed. Also this is a long blog post with lots of pictures.
While out wasting some time at a few antique stores with my wife, I came across this beauty of a hand plane.
I just knew I had to have it! I had been telling my wife that I wanted, no I needed a #7 for the past few weeks, so I was shocked and happy to see a Bedrock 607 with a price tag shy of $25. Even in the shape it was in, I didn’t hesitate to buy it.
First step, getting everything apart and seeing if its all there. It must have been a while since this plane was last used as it took a fair amount of WD-40 Rust Release Penetrant spray to get it apart. This was my first time breaking a plane down to pieces and I enjoyed the experience. It allowed me to get a better feel for how the parts of the plane work and also helped me determine the type of this plane. I’m thinking it’s a Type 3.
Wohoo!...It’s all there and all seems original (as far as I can tell). The first problem that sticks out though is the broken tote. However, the person who used this plane drilled holes into each half and stuck a metal rod to help mend them together. This actually works quite well when its attached to the plane as there is no movement of the top piece.
Next I placed the pieces into Evaporust. I did everything but the sole and the brass pieces first (I soaked the brass in ketchup instead).
Already looking better.
The next Evaporust bath was for the sole but I had sort of a problem. I had no container that I could put this long beast of a sole into and get it all covered in Evaporust. That’s when I decided to make a plane burrito (I think Chipolte should make one this big).
My burrito worked for the most part, but you can see it didn’t quite cover it all.
Oh well, nothing a little sand paper and elbow grease won’t cure.
You can see that there is some pitting going on. Also the japanning on the this thing isn’t the greatest. I am debating on whether to re-japan it (it’s too cold in the garage to worry about doing it right now).
Now I need to start cleaning up the rest of the parts. I started out by using sandpaper on the frog, lever cap, iron, and chip breaker. Notice the chip in the lower right hand corner of the lever cap.
I then realized how much quicker, while being just a shiny, that a wire brush in my cordless drill was on the rest of the parts. So quick in fact, that I didn’t take any more pictures til I had the whole thing back together.
And of course the courtesy wood chip picture (don’t look too long or you might notice my crappy bench).
That is where I stand now. I didn’t want to spend days and days getting everything perfect but may come back over time and work on it some more here and here (such as touching up the handles). I hoped you enjoyed my restoration.
I’ll end with a family picture of what I have so far.
Oh, one last thing. Here is everything that I bought from that antique store for $41. A Disston miter saw, although I don’t think it’s anything special (any hand saw people can confirm that). Also, picked up what I feel to be a beautiful but simple mallet.
Thanks for reading my blog post.