‘Git ‘er done!” -Larry The Cable Guy’s Over-Used Tag Line.
The 2015 Official handsawgeek Workshop Project List tells me that I had to get this lathe stand finished by the end of January.
And, I made it!!
Here’s the synopsis of the past two weeks….
To start things off, a trip to the BORG was necessary to buy a few more items of hardware to complete the project. Usually when I’m there, I make it a point to visit the “70% off sticker” cull lumber cart, just to see what’s there. Most of the time, the cart is stacked with specimens of very unsavory pieces of wood, but occasionally I find something of use. This day, I hit the jackpot. Among the various warped, bowed, twisted, cupped, waned, checked, and damaged boards I found several full eight foot sticks of 1×2 craft pine. Even though all of them were somewhat bowed along their length, they were perfect for the application I had in mind: Support cleats for the sand enclosure bottom and edge rails for the tool shelf. The inherent bows would not be an issue since these boards would be attached lengthwise to other, sturdier pieces. This find would save me from having to rip similar parts from wider stock.
Armed with these and a handful of needed wood screws and carriage bolts, I went ‘galumphing’ back to the shop…
The Sand Box,
This is a very straight forward, nuthin’ fancy part of the build: a pair of 1×2 cleats cut to length and screwed to the inside bottom of the frame, and a bottom shelf made of pieces cross-cut from a crusty old 1×10. A finish nail on the ends of each piece will suffice to keep them in place. Since this assembly will be entirely hidden from view, there is no attempt here to make it pretty.
Leg Support and Rail Assemblies,
The rails are nothing more than two by fours hand planed down enough to get rid of the milled corner radii. They are now actually around 3 1/8” wide. Everything gets glued and screwed together.
Sand Box Top/Tool Shelf,
Cut to length from a piece of 1×12 pine board and outfitted with 1×2 rails to keep turning tools and accessories from rattling off the shelf during lathe use. This assembly will be screwed into place atop the lower frame once the sand box is filled.
Transport the Whole Kit and Kaboodle back up the stairs and into the garage,
GRUNT…GROAN…..Thank the Lord for two-wheel dollies!
Flip the whole assembly over on its top to install the heavy duty casters. Never mind that the swiveling, locking pair is bright orange. They were on sale at Woodcraft…. The plain fixed pair were freebies kindly donated to the geek.
I’m not certain whether I want to have casters on this machine or not. The original intent was to render the lathe mobile for moving out to the driveway on nice days. If the casters don’t work out, I have the option of replacing them with solid wood feet.
Attach the top,
Nothing special here. Bore holes and affix with big carriage bolts.
Throw in a bag of tube sand and screw on the tool shelf, mount the Lathe,
Now all that remains is to cobble up a small wheel chock assembly for the non-locking set of casters that will also incorporate leveling compensation for the sloping garage floor.
And start turnin’ !!
The final blog post in this series will have to wait until this coming Spring, when the garage will become warm enough to safely apply the finish to the project. I intend to brush on a couple coats of polyurethane varnish since it will provide a little extra surface protection against all the inevitable scratches and dings this shop furniture is bound to suffer.
Perhaps there will be a couple of decorative accents in store as well.