LumberJocks

Heart vase

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by hairy posted 570 days ago 1657 reads 2 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I’ll fast forward through the stock preparation. I have 2 blanks, identical in size. They were cut from a board. I marked how they came off the board to get the best grain match. I’ve seen this method used on rectangular boxes. I marked them to maintain that match.

I marked the center on a piece of printer paper. I made several copies. I put the inside and outside dimensions on the paper. I drew half of a heart, then I used carbon to make a mirror image . If you’re better at drawing than I am, do it the way you like. The crosshairs keep it all lined up.



More carbon paper gets the image onto the blanks. I marked the outside, and only the inside and outside dimensions on the insides of the blanks.

How the image is transferred determines the grain direction of the finished piece. I could have marked the center of the blanks from the sides, that way I could have had the grain go horizontal or vertical. I marked the blanks corner to corner, the grain runs diagonally.

I used double sided tape to hold the blanks together. A little goes a long way.

I cut the corners off at the bandsaw. These plywood blocks go on with d/s tape. I have center lines on the plywood. Put a plywood piece on top of the blank on center,on both blanks and mount between centers on the lathe. This way I don’t put holes in the blanks with the center point, but more important is it is all mounted on center to the lathe.

Turn it down to the outside dimension marked on the blank.

I made a new mark to locate the grain match before removing any tape.

I hollowed each half to the inside dimension mark. The depth is half of the thickness of the blank. Sand it smooth, you won’t get to after it’s glued.

There is enough long grain surface for a good glue up. I used 220 grit sandpaper on a good flat surface to get a good joint.

After the glue dried, I used a bandsaw to reveal a heart shape. I used handtools to clean up the rough edges left from the bandsaw.

I made a cradle for the heart to sit on. I put blue tape on each piece, marked center lines on the tape, and used Titebond 3. Squeeze out on the outside is ok, the inside is difficult to clean out.

All the center lines make this work. I have some ideas kicking around for other shapes. This is my test piece. There are things I will change next time.

-- the last of Barret's Privateers...



2 comments so far

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

13337 posts in 2299 days


#1 posted 570 days ago

Nice project!

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View Roger's profile

Roger

14318 posts in 1430 days


#2 posted 570 days ago

Nice how-to Hairy. Thnx

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase