This is an accidental project. I started rough turning a piece of ash between centers and found out it had a crack in it. By the time it was roundish and crackless, it was looking funnelish, so it became a funnel.
I cut off the other part for another day.While it was between centers I turned a tenon to be held in a chuck. Now in the chuck, I rough turned the outside, leaving the neck of the funnel very thick. The neck is now a tenon to hold the piece in the chuck. I left a big thick bead around the top, more on that in a bit.
The next thing I did was drill a hole all the way through the piece. On this one, the hole is 1/2”. Then I hollowed out the inside using forstner bits. I worked my way in using progressively smaller bits, always double checking depth and wall thickness. Once it was drilled I used a round carbide scraper to clean it up.
I used cole jaws to hold it for final turning the outside.Earlier I left the neck very thick to be a tenon, now I cut that part down. Being right handed, I stood on the other side of the lathe and reversed the motor direction to get away from the jaws.
Here’s where I quit taking pictures. The only thing left is to make the hanger portion. I marked what I wanted to KEEP on that big thick bead around the top, and cut the rest off. I drilled the hole before making the cuts. I used one of those hex drive bits with the countersink, no drill – just doing it by hand. I started with the smallest and worked my way up the sizes to get what I liked.
And yes, I do take pictures of most of my projects in progress. I might want to make another one,most days I can’t remember what I had for breakfast.
This is the first one I did. I don’t know if I have these out of my system yet, but I won’t post anymore. When you’ve seen one…
-- on Wednesday's I go shopping, and have buttered scones for tea...