Harmonica case

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by gurnie updated 1086 days ago 4 parts 6263 reads 10 comments total

Part 1: The harmonica case for the Harmonica case collector

1148 days ago by gurnie | 3 comments »

So this is a commissioned harmonica case that I am working on. this gentleman wanted his likeness on a harmonica case. So i sketched out an idea of him leaning against a brick wall, playing his harmonica. His likeness would be done in intarsia. I’ve been working on this project on and off for about 4 months, maybe longer – taking my time so i enjoy it making it. treating it like a piece of art and not a “task” i have to complete. I think it’s coming a...

Read this entry »

Part 2: Part 2: How to make wood look like brick

1129 days ago by gurnie | 3 comments »

I spent some time refining the “brick building” technique. I originally was going to do it with a dremel tool, but the lines weren’t straight enough for my liking. So I did some more experimenting and decided I am hand chiseling this. First I draw my brick marks in pencil. Each brick is about 5/8” long, 1/4” high. I draw out my pattern using a square and a pencil, alternating the pattern up the piece. then i use a chisel to dap along the line N...

Read this entry »

Part 3: commissioned harmonica case - grouting the brick

1115 days ago by gurnie | 4 comments »

So it took me two weeks to chisel out the bloodwood to make it look like patterned brick (you know, doing some here and there not to drive myself crazy). Then i mixed glue with maple dust and grouted the piece. Then it was sanded with a sander. here’s the results. I think the next thing to do is glue up the box and then shape the legs. I am a bit afraid that applying a finish will darken the grout, hopefully it won’t be too much. Whatdaya think?

Read this entry »

Part 4: How to grout wood

1086 days ago by gurnie | 0 comments »

I realized I never explained how I got the grout “look” to work with the harmonica case, so i thought i’d take the time to post photos to show you the process. Here’s an image of the wood, pre-grouted. if you look at my last blog entry, you can see how I was able to chisle away the wood for the brick pattern. In this photo you can see the tightbond 3 glue (which dries darker than regular tightbond), a collection of maple dust, a cup, tooth picks, and kabob s...

Read this entry »

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics :: gardening showcase