I realized I never explained how I got the grout “look” to work with the harmonica case, so i thought i’d take the time to post photos to show you the process.
Here’s an image of the wood, pre-grouted. if you look at my last blog entry, you can see how I was able to chisle away the wood for the brick pattern.
In this photo you can see the tightbond 3 glue (which dries darker than regular tightbond), a collection of maple dust, a cup, tooth picks, and kabob sticks.
Glue is mixed into this cup with some maple dust until the mix is a thick paste – not overly wet, but not too dry. This mix is then applied into the groves of the “brick” wall.
Here’s a closer look
After it is fitted into the groves, it is removed by hand (my fingernails hate me right now)
And here’s an up-close photo of the brick wall drying
this piece is then sanded on an orbital sander. It was then glued up as a box. I don’t have a photo of it glued and out of clamps, but here’s a photo of the box clamped.
I am hoping to have this project done very soon.
Look forward to comments!