This is the second post in my DIY cyclone dust collector blog and deals with motor selection. The previous entry was on my background experiences that lead to this project. You can read that post here. I’ll also keep a list of all blog posts in this series at the bottom of the post.
I didn’t start off with a completely clean sheet since I already had the eBay cyclone as well as the Wynn C1425 nano cartridge, so whatever I created needed to play nice with those. The filter pretty much can be made to work with anything, so I was really designing a system around this particular cyclone. This left the motor as the major design decision that needed to be made.
My eBay cyclone has the following specs:
- 7” outlet
- 6” inlet
- counter-clockwise flow when looking down from the top
The motor I chose needed to have at least a 7” inlet as well as a counter-clockwise airflow. I didn’t realize this when I bought it, but the Jet DC-1100 motor I was using had a clockwise rotation, so I was probably robbing myself of airflow there. Didn’t want to make the same mistake again. Finally, I wanted as powerful a motor as I could jam into a 20am circuit.
As it turns out, finding a paired motor / impeller housing was a lot more difficult than I had anticipated. It wasn’t just that I had particular requirements, but quite simply that they weren’t really available anywhere. Penn State did have a few available including their 2.5hp model for $400 and 3.5 hp model for $900. The 2.5hp motor seemed a little underpowered, especially for the price and the 3.5hp motor pretty much blew the budget for a DIY cyclone. Had I gone that route, when all was said and done I would have spent more on my franken-collector than a turn-key solution like the venerable Clearvue CV1800. Plus, both turned the wrong way.
Industrial supply places like Grainger and McMaster-Carr both carried acceptable motor/impellers but they were way out of my price range (over $1000 or so). It was at this point that I realized that my best bet would be scavenging the motor from a single-stage collector.
In the end, my motor of choice was from the Shop Fox W1687. It’s a 3hp motor that turns in the correct direction with a 13” impeller and 8” inlet. I was impatient, so I purchased it from a local retailer for $525, including tax. Had I been willing to wait, I occasionally see these or units in the same class pop up on Craigslist for around $350-$400 range. They all seem to sell very quickly so I think the ‘new’ price wasn’t bad. At least I got to support a local retailer and got a brand-new item.
I believe the Shop Fox W1687 is nearly identical to the Grizzly G1030Z2P:
There are two minor differences, at least as they pertain to my setup though: the Grizzly has a 7” inlet vs 8” on the Shop Fox and it also has a 12.75” impeller vs 13”. Not sure if it makes any difference in the end, but neither hurt to have.
One final think I’ll mention about this motor was that I was originally worried about the amp draw. It’s rated for 18amps according to the plate on the motor and I’ve got a 20amp circuit. The outlet is close to the panel so I could have, with a little effort, replaced a couple of feet of 12ga wire with 10ga and bought a new 6-30 outlet, but I really didn’t want to. As soon as I got the dust collector, I fired up just the motor with no filters attached and about 5’ of 4” flex hose connected to the included splitter. There were no issues with the motor tripping my breaker even at that load.
Up next in my DIY dust collector blog – selecting a dust collection bin, building the stand, and installing a remote power switch.