Finally got the bench to the point where it’s time to flatten the top and finish it.
Going into the project almost a year ago, I made a promise to myself that I would flatten the top by hand. I’ve seen the fancy router sled used by the Woodwhisperer (among others), but that’s not how I wanted to go (besides the fact that I don’t want to put down $50 on a wide-pass router bit).
The top wasn’t too far out of flat, globally.
However, there were lots of local spots that needed touching up, not to mention cleaning off the glue drops, grease, and other crud that has built up over almost a year.
I used my two winding sticks (read: plywood offcuts) to find the high spots on the top. They’re kinda hard to see, but the pencil squiggles are there.
So, out came the No. 5 to do some hoggin’.
My brother came out to the shop to have a look-see. After giving him a crash course on operating a plane, he was hoggin’ along there with me.
We ended up getting the top workably flat. It’s not perfect, but I expect it to move so I wasn’t too concerned. It’ll be flat enough for the work I do.
Next came the BLO. This is actually the first time I ever used it. We ended up putting two coats on the top, sides of the top, and the leg vise chop.
That done, all was left was to sweep up the shavings and admire the new bench.
-- -=Pride is not a sin=-