Happy Mothers’ Day everyone!
Finally got a chance to go back to my parents’ house for the weekend (i.e., the location of my shop). Went into the shop and this is what my bench looked like:
Looks like my dad has been at work in the 2.5 months I’ve been away. No surprises there.
I made a pair of holdfasts in a blacksmithing class last fall. When I made them, I tried to round them down to about 3/4”. Since they aren’t necessarily a standard size shaft, I had to do some experimenting to see what size hole I needed. Luckily I had a hunk of cutoff from when I made the bench that I could drill some holes in.
Turns out that 3/4” holes were the right size. I think the shafts are somewhere around 5/8”-3/4” round, but pretty irregular since I rounded down some 5/8” square stock. They hold pretty well.
I decided to drill the holes in the top using a bit brace instead of a power drill. I had bought a nice 3/4” Bosch auger bit for the task a while ago but decided against it. I figured I could get better control with the hand tool.
Once I got down to the bottom of the hole, I clamped a backer board underneath so the bottom of the hole didn’t tear out.
The first hole worked, on to the others.
Still going through. Luckily my 3/4” brace bit was sharp, the drilling went pretty fast.
And now the finished product. I think it took about 1.5 hours to do all the drilling and testing of the holes. Finally, I can use those holdfasts I made last year!
-- -=Pride is not a sin=-