LumberJocks

The Creche (manger)

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by greg48 updated 03-27-2012 08:28 PM 4 parts 9019 reads 9 comments total

Part 1: Start with the Old

03-04-2012 10:23 PM by greg48 | 0 comments »

It’s been a while, but I’m back again (I╒ll be glad when I reach retirement in about 20 months, but whose counting?). I was asked by the Alter Society ladies if I could repair the old Creche (that’s a fancy term for a Christmas manger scene). After doing a close inspection, I told them that I could not repair it but given time, I could rebuild it…......... I’ve got till next December. When facetiously inquiring what the job pays, I was assured that I would recei...

Read this entry »


Part 2: The Frame

03-06-2012 11:19 PM by greg48 | 1 comment »

Moving right along. I have milled all the pieces and have run up a few dry fits to get my construction sequence ironed out. Thanks to the sketch up model, the pieces turned out well measured and cut with one exception that repeated four times. If you look hard, you will see them, but it only identifies the project as mine (I always have at least one mistake). ..For ease of milling, I decided to extend the corner braces through the post instead of stopping them half way through.....The g...

Read this entry »


Part 3: The Star of Bethlehem

03-15-2012 12:31 AM by greg48 | 4 comments »

OK, this blog is actually a post script to the finished project that I posted earlier this week. I thought that it would be nice if I crafted a wooden star to put on the top of the creche during Epiphany (visit of Magi). I’ve included a JPEG of the sketch up model because I don’t know how to imbed a downloadable file.....Anyway, I had hoped to use 1/2” thick material, probably poplar or a softwood. Cutting the angles of the four pieces does not concern me nor does marking...

Read this entry »


Part 4: The Star of Bethlehem - Done!

03-27-2012 08:28 PM by greg48 | 4 comments »

Well, I came up with a solution for paring the star and here is how it came out:.first I cut out the pieces to their overall dimension and cut 45’s on the intersecting ends,....then I pin nailed some strips to aid in the glue-up,....laid out the cut-out and facet lines, cutting the exterior on the b.s. and planing the edges to the mark out lines,....glued up the shaped pieces using some high tech clamps,.. ..using the cut off pieces as wedges, I was able to secure the star while pari...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase