Do any of you wake up with an idea? Almost like it came to you in a dream? I can’t say it did, because I can never actually remember my dreams, but I woke up this morning with an idea that was driving me absolutely nuts. I couldn’t wait to try it out.
Now, I’m not saying that this idea is completely original. I often have brilliant ideas sometimes that I realize much later that I had seen somewhere and must have just tucked it away somewhere deep in my subconscious. As I like to say, there’s nothing new under the table saw.
The idea has to do with angles. These are the blanks for the first two test subjects. I many variations of this idea on my mind though by simply changing the angle and configuration of which those angled pieces are arranged to glue up.
Before I could start that though, and while I was waiting for the glue to set on these, and the tubes after I glued them in, I had to complete a blank I had glued tubes into yesterday evening.
Some of you may be wondering why I am back to using center rings. I am having alignment issues with some of the pens that I have traced back to alignment issues with my lathe. I have got to figure out a good way to get that issue resolved. I thought I had it solved, but it is back. If I cannot get it permenantly resolved, I am going to have to order a #2 morse taper mandrel so I can use on my larger lathe, which is much more predictably accurate. I am happy doing this for now though. If nothing else it is allowing me to practice and cultivate ideas like I’ve done today.
Then is was on to the test subjects of today.
This is the top glue up in the photo of the blanks.
And this is the bottom.
Both of these are pecan and walnut. I liked them and am ready to move on with some other versions of this idea.
I had a notion to make some out of cedar and box elder. So I glued them up and went to the house for a while. I went back later to drill the holes and glue the tubes in. When I removed the clamps though, the cedar glueups almost fell apart. I think it has something to do with the oils in cedar and my attempt of using super glue with it. I may try this again at a later date with cedar, but for now, I think I’ll stick with less oily woods.