I am not completely over this bad spell I’ve been having, but I did feel a lot better today than I have in about a week. So I went to the shop, all gung ho about doing something with some of those logs. I stopped short though and considered that I am supposed to have three fellow Lumberjocks visiting my shop on Saturday. I’m not completely well, so there is no sense in taking a chance on putting myself right back down by over doing it too soon. So I decided to stick with what I’ve been doing.
I pulled some more dry wood off the shelf and started thinking what I could do with it.
It still isn’t exactly what I had in mind, but I’m getting there. It doesn’t matter how many I do before I get it perfectly like I want. Each one done is simply more practice, and as they say, practice makes perfect.
The middle of the bowl, the actual bowl part of it, doesn’t sit on the table. It sits just on the four wings of it. I wish I could have brought it up higher to show this more, but this was only a two inch thick piece of wood to start with. I am happy with it though just to say I got this far. It seemed like for a while there that each and every bowl was a new aggrevation. It is getting now so that I have the confidence that I need to know I can hollow out a bowl without issue and I can focus more on the overall design of the piece. That in itself makes this enjoyable endeavor even more fun.
Also, in between pulling the wood off the shelf and actually starting to work on it, I made a quick trip to the hardware store for a single forstner bit. This was in response to Stefang’s suggestion from yesterday’s blog entry. You see, my largest bit, before purchasing the one I got today, was two inches, and about an eigth of an inch shy of being large enough to drill a hole for my four jaw chuck to open into. The set originally had a two and one eighth bit in it, but I damaged it long time ago doing something foolish. So the quick trip replaced the missing bit and allowed me to drill a reverse recess in the wood to mount a blank on my chuck.
Thank you Stefang for making that suggestion. It made today’s experience even more enjoyable. I usually have to use a face plate, turn a recess, and then switch to the chuck. With the ability to drill the recess though, I can now turn a bowl using my chuck alone. That eliminates having to stop and mess around with changing accessories. I have found that between various distractions, like sharpening for example, I like anything that helps save time and allows me to turn more.
While looking at that bowl shown above, I liked the curvature as the wood goes from the sides of the inside, flowing nicely over and down the sides to the wings. It reminded me of inside of a flower petal. This immediately made me pull another piece out and go with an idea I had.
I don’t know if I can explain this without something to show, but here goes. I had an idea to make a similar bowl as above, except, coming out of the bowl, it would curve out the same, down at a lesser angle, then back out to square wings that would stick out at a slight downward angle. I can see what I want in my mind, and it would look similar to an open flower.
So that’s what I started on. It was going nicely, until one of the square wings broke off. I was going for a delicate look and I think got a little carried away with cutting it on the thin side.
I did not scrap it though. I just turned the other three wings off and made it into a simple bowl. Well, actually, it looked to simple at that point. So I decided to try my hand at another technique I had read about during the past week when I was down.
I used a skew to cut three lines, two on top, and one on bottom. Then I used a length of copper wire to burn the lines. It isn’t much, but just those simple lines turned a simple, plain looking bowl into what I think is a real nice piece.
This was my first time trying this burning technique. You can bet the wire went into my large junk bowl though. Some of you may remember what I’m talking about. That’s the bowl I cut through the bottom on several days ago. It is on my accessory table where I now keep small parts in. Anyway, the wire went in it because I will be playing with that burning technique some more. I like the way it looks. There’s no way I could get clean lines that thin with paint or ink.
For some readers, like Randy, who like learning lessons through my mistakes and failures, I have no ”lesson of the day” today. It was a real good day. I had no issues at all. I think I only remember one catch and I know what caused it and immediately corrected that, back cut the area to give me a smooth surface, caught my gouge back above it, and rode that bevel right on in, taking that catch out of memory in the blink of an eye.
So Randy, I’m sorry I have no hard learned lessons for you today. The sun shines on us all from time to time though.
While I still have a lot to learn, I want to take this time to thank a few people.
Stefang, Bearpie, Rich, and Jamie, without you guys, I would have never gotten this far so quickly. Thank you all so much for all the advice and support you’ve given me. I hope I can count on your help in the future. One day I hope to be good enough that I too can help someone else learn this exciting avenue in wood working.
Randy, Dave, Marty, Grizz, Jeff, Andy, and so many others that I can’t even think of all your names at the moment, thank you for all the kind words, motivation, and kicks in the pants when I’ve needed it most. You guys are the best.