I’ve had the flu and haven’t felt up to doing too much. I’m been puttering around though and doind what I can.
Yesterday, I pulled out my grinder and oil stones. It was something I could do sitting down. So I got some of my lathe tools sharpened up nicely.
One of my older sons had brought me a small pile of firewood. It was still pretty wet, but I remembered someone telling me green wood was a good idea to start with for practice. So, today, I pulled out my electric chain saw and chopped off a piece large enough for a small bow. After plenty of reading, and plenty of helpful advice from fellow Lumberjocks, and some new toys thanks to my friend Eddie and my wife, I was ready to crawl back on that horse.
The first thing I done was chucked it up in the old lathe, the one with the bent shaft. As long as I’m still learning, I figured this would be a better idea. I can rough things out on this old lathe. That will get things almost balanced well before putting it on the good lathes.
After it was balanced good, I put it on the Ridgid lathe that Eddie had given me. I worked with it here until I was ready to chop off the excess amount I did not need. I intentionally started with more wood than I would possibly need, in case there was any mistakes.
Up until this point, everything was going perfectly. The chips were flying and there was a smile on my face.
Then I mounted this onto the new lathe that my wife got me. Between the Ridgid lathe, and this new lathe, and both of them running true, things went so much smoother than my past experiences. The piece chucked into my four jaw chuck and ran perfectly true. There was no issues.
Then my new troubles began.
I have done a lot of reading lately. I thought I knew exactly what I needed to do. Apparantly I was wrong. No matter what I did, had so many, and with such severety, catches with the tools, that I wound up having to stop before I finished and make the decision to try and figure out what I’m doing wrong before I mess around and hurt myself.
No, I do not have a “proper” bowl gouge. I know that is an issue, but I can’t believe that it the only problem.
I tried different tools.
I tried different angles.
I tried adjusting to tool rest to different positions.
I spent close to three of the most frustrating hours of my life trying to figure out what exactly I am doing wrong as compared to the information I’ve read and the tons of video I have now watched on bowl turning. As determined as I am though, I am not quite sure at this moment what exactly I’m doing wrong.
I do know that the catches I’m getting are severe enough to do damage, either to the mcahine, or myself. Also, I think this is how I bent the shaft on the first lathe. Overall, I am fearful at this point to continue until I figure this out.
I understand that a proper bowl gouge will become something I just can’t continue without. At this time though, I can’t believe that the inability to afford an expensive tool at this time is the only problem.
This is how far I got into the inside of the bowl before I decided it was best for me to stop. I followed the advice I read in one of the books I’ve been in, and used a forstner bit to remove a lot of the center before beginning.
At this time, I can turn spindles and such, and some real nice bowl blanks. I cannot seem to get face turning, or the interior of bowls, right. So I left this piece chucked into the lathe for now, as a daily reminder that I need to try and learn some more.
As for the title of this entry, it is how I feel at the moment. This is now the first time I’ve felt this way, and probably won’t be the last. It is a feeling I am sure some others feel when you try something that you’ve seen others make look so easy, and you just can’t seem to get it right.
Oh, well, back to the drawing board. In other words, time to learn some more.