I had several way I could go with the drawer front. I could have simply made a different shaped version of the shelf tops. However, I wanted something different, but in the same style. I had thought of several ideas.
Let me back up a second. As I said in the last blog installment, I have been hurting today. After posting this morning, I went back to bed. I dozed off for a while. Then I woke up and started to thinking about that drawer front again. The more I thought about it, the more I just HAD to get to the shop. So, with the help of my wife to get my boots on, and the help of a shot of Jose Quervo to dull the pain a tad, off I went. I had a plan and I had to see it through.
The tops make me think of sunshine. I guess it’s their outward rays with a distinct center. Well, I thought about moving that center, well, off center. The thought I had in bed was to move it all the way to one top edge, and over towards one side, giving it an appearance such as the sun shining down.
I wanted this to be a solid slab that will be attached directly to the front of the drawer casing. However, since I wanted to make sure I’m happy with it before attaching it, I decided to first build it on wax paper. I knew there would be glue squeezeout on bottom, and the wax paper keeps it from gluing itself to the paper. Afterwards, the wax paper comes off easily on any spots that glue set up on.
I started with the longest ray. Each piece is cut on a fifteen degree angle. Towards the center of the arc, I marked up to where the pieces were an inch thick so I could know where it would help to shoot 23ga pin nails into. This provides just a little extra support on those thin ends. Once I was far enough around, I moved to the table saw and trimmed the opposite, or bottom edge off. I left it a little wider than it needs to be so I could later trim up the top, making sure to leave a straight edge there too.
After working all the way around, one hundred and eighty degrees, I straightened the top on the table saw. Then I put it all on my table saw sled and cut it at the proper length where I thought it looked best.
Then I done some sanding. Actually, since this was just an idea to start with, I did not check thickness of my pieces before gluing up. All of the pieces are very close, but some were a hair thicker than others. Because of this, it required a LOT of sanding.
Here is the top, the shelf, and the drawer front. I think the look very good together. I believe that if they look good laying on the table together unfinished, they’ll look even better when I’m done.