My mom said she wanted a table for a radio she bought. She gave me the measurements, the hieght she wanted, and told me to just go from there and build her something. So I have been thinking for a little while now about how I want to build it. For loved ones, I usually like doing something different. How do you do a table different though?
Well, following, I came up with an idea for a different table. Now, I don’t claim this is completely original. I am sure somewhere, someone, has built one just like it. I think it is a different way than normal for constructing a table though. So let’s go.
I started with the skirts. I wanted something different than what I usually see. I considered my options and decided to use my finger joint mahcine for the joints.
Then I glued them up. This gives me two square skirts for a table top and a shelf underneath.
Then I used a dado set on the table saw to cut the proper amount from two side of each leg, at the top and in the middle of each leg.
These two photos show how those notches on the legs fit with the skirts.
Then I started fitting the legs to the skirts. I carefully glued the legs in place in each corner. Also, there will be stretchers glued on the inside of each skirt apron. These will serve as an added means for keeping the legs squarely in place. Also, the surface of the top and shelf will go on top of the stretcher. They will be inset, because my Mom wants a lip all the way around both surfaces.
As I started gluing things up, things started to go south quickly. I am using my favorite glue, Gorilla Wood Glue. I use this glue a lot and, usually, after it had set for less than an hour, there is no breaking the joint. I have tested this glue even on common butt joints and it’s always strong. However, as I started assembly of this today, even the slightest pressure and the joints would fail miserably. I could hear them when they popped loose.
I decided to take a coffee break and ponder this for a moment.
By the time I started gluing today, it was cool enough in my shop that I had on a long sleeve shirt. It was not cool enough though for me to need a fire. I think the temperature may have been just cool enough to effect the glues performance. This is the only explanation I can think of at this point.
So, at this point I’m not sure what I’m going to do. Next time in the shop, I will try to disassemble what I have done so far enough without damaging anything. If I can do that, I will make sure to have a nice toasty fire in the wood heater before going any further.
If I can’t disassemble it enough, then it looks like I made some pretty fancy firewood. If that happens, it won’t be the first time, and I’m sure it won’t be the last.