This is how I left the shade yesterday so the glue could dry.
First thing to do today, of course, was to remove the tape.
Then I cut and installed two small pieces in opposing corners as you can see here. This is added support for the cross piece that will allow the shade to suspend over the lamp.
And here is that cross piece. It is simply a quarter inch thick strip of sycamore that I laid over the top of the shade, marked the ends to match the corners, and cut to fit. The hole, where it mounts to the shade hoop, had to be countersunk in order for the finger nut to have room to screw down.
I couldn’t figure out a good way to clamp the cross piece under those small pieces I showed earlier. So I untilized the weight of the shade. I just put glue on the ends of the cross piece and set the shade in place. The weight was enough to hold it down so the glue would dry.
Next, I took the shade back off again and done some sanding to it.
At the moment, everything is sanded to 120 grit. However, since this is a special project for my special lady, I plan on sanding it down with finer grits. I have found that the finer sanding you do, the easier it is to get a nice finish.
After that, I still have to pin myself down to what finish I want to use. I am pretty sure it will be shellac. We will see.
I know this post doesn’t seem like a lot, but it has been a long day for me today. I am proud I got this much done as bad as I’ve been feeling. I hope you all have enjoyed seeing this project. This is the last blog post though. I’ll post it in the projects section after I have put finish on it. My wife has plans for the weekend though, so it’ll be next week before I can get to that.