When we left off in Part 1, I had drawers gluing up.
To hang the drawers in the cabinet, I used the sliding dovetail jig on the Stumpy Nubs dovetail machine and cut slots. However, I didn’t use a dovetail bit. I used a straight bit. The clamping feature on the machine just gave me a convenient way to cut them safely.
Then I cut and glued some strips inside the cabinet for those slots to ride on.
This took careful measurement. I wanted to leave a sixteenth of an inch clearance between each drawer. Somehow, I messed up the top drawer measurement. I did not catch it until the glue had dried. So instead of chancing messing anything else up trying to get that strip out, I came up with a different solution.
I added a strip across the top of the inside of the cabinet. This looks nice and just eliminates the top drawer. This is one of those great things when I’m doing a project without planning. I can change it on the fly and say I designed it that way.
You may also notice in this photo that I’ve added knobs to the drawers.
Next, I cut my pieces for the side compartments. I was just about to miter these when I had a thought. Box joints would look more fitting with the rest of the cabinet here. So I got my box joint machine back out and went that route. This presented a couple of problems.
First of all, this required box joints running across the grain instead of with it. It’s a good thing I had these pieces oversized to start with, because I broke fingers off on the first run. I didn’t consider it beforehand, but fingers running across the grain was going to require a looser joint than if I was making drawers. So I added a the thinnest shim in my dado set to the mix and recut them. These aren’t being made for strength anyway, but merely for looks.
Then it presented a clamping problem for glue up. With only two sides instead of four, it was a problem getting clamps to hold tight while the glue dried. I wound up chopping up the piece I’d been using as a backer to prevent tearout from the dado set, and using those pieces as clamping blocks.
Here’s the two compartment doors after gluing up. I think they turned out quite nicely myself.
I decided on piano hinges for the side compartment doors because, from my experience, these can hold a lot of weight while still looking good.
I’m using a spring loaded ball catch on each side to keep them closed but still be able to open them easily.
And I added knobs to the doors.
And that’s where I’m at right now. I’ll be back with more as soon as I can. Thank ya’ll for looking.