First things first today, I had to finish cutting the lower side gable trim.
Here’s a view of the side gable trim pieces in place.
Here’s the front side gable trim. Also, this is where my day started getting uh, umm, interesting. I think that’s a good description of it.
I cut these two pieces, but for some reason they were too short. It took a lot of head scratching for me to figure out how and why. When I done the roof, I didn’t follow the plans. Since I had built this before and already knew how the roof was supposed to be, and I had changed the center trim section of the roof, I had just laid it out with a straight edge and a tape measure. Well it turns out I made the roof with about a half inch more overhang than the plans call for. So, I had to redraw the patterns a little bit and recut these gable trim pieces.
Then I cut the front gable trim. One of these goes on a gable above the front door and the other on a gable above the clock. OH! Wait. My clock hasn’t arrived yet. I ordered it and according to the tracking information from UPS, it’s supposed to be here tomorrow. I can’t put these on until after the clock is installed. So, these got set aside for now. Yea. I’m batting a thousand now. Maybe the UPS guy will make a stop here tomorrow and make my day. All I was able to do today concerning the UPS guy was watch him drive by my house as I was fixing my coffee.
Let me explain this photo.
When I built this project before, there was one thing about it that bugged me to no end. I didn’t like the steeple according to the pattern and I didn’t get a chance to change it before it was gone. To me, the steeple according to the pattern doesn’t look like a steeple at all. It is short and squat. It looks like someone picked up a pyramid out of Egypt and dropped it on top of a church. I wanted a steeple that looks to me, well, like a steeple.
The original one is five and a quarter inches tall. I wanted to double that and make it ten and a half inches tall. So I set out to do that. It shouldn’t be no problem, a couple of compound angles, some planning. I got a good table saw and a decent tapering jig. No problem.
Uh. Houston, we have a problem.
I learned a lesson today. I learned that there is no such thing as a couple of SIMPLE compound angles, especially not at this scale. What I wound up making on my table saw with my tapering jig was some fancy looking triangles, but none of them fit together correctly to do what I needed to do with them.
What this photo shows is the beginning of my plan B, or C. I can’t remember.
I decided to glue up material for a solid steeple. After it dries, I marked and cut the angles on my band saw. Then I used the twelve inch disk sander on the Shopsmith to clean up the sides.
I wanted to make sure that the three pieces I was gluing up were solid with no voids. So I used plenty of glue. I started doing this on my table. It quickly started getting messy. So, as you can see in the photo, I wound up moving the entire operation over my trash can.
So here is the mahogany part of my steeple.
And here’s the steeple with the corner trim and the weathervain that sits on top of it. You may notice the rubber bands holding the trim pieces in place while the glue dries. I’ll get them off in the morning. Also, since I changed the height of the steeple, I also had to change the length of the corner trim pieces.
And so here is what I got done today. I still have a bit to go before I’m finished completely, but I couldn’t wait. My son got me some batteries tonight so I could put in the light. I just had to see what it looked like in the dark with the light on in it. So, the following are simply, uh, uh, uhhhhh, show off photos.
And you can see the pews and pulpit through the front window.
Till next time, good night all.