This first photo today is one I forgot to put in the last blog. I wanted to show the doors. I really am not quite sure of the significance of this particular design on a church door. It is what is on the pattern though and I think it looks nice. I had debated on changing it to something different, maybe a cross. Maybe I will on the next one, but I decided to leave it alone on this one though.
The first order of business today was to add supports for the roof. I decided to use much beefier supports than the plans call for. I would like to tell you the highly technical reason why I overdo these supports way above and beyond what the plans call for.
I can’t though.
I do so because I’m paranoid about things like this.
Also something I add that is not in the plans is the light. You may notice it mounted under the center support. It is just a battery operated flouresent light.
This decorative piece that runs through the middle, between the two largest roof pieces, gave me problems last time I built this. So I decided to do it differently this time. First of all, instead of quarter inch material, I used half inch thick oak. Of course this requires adjusting the roof measurements a bit, but I wanted this piece to be sturdier. Also, instead of simply gluing it between the two roof pieces, I made it taller than it was supposed to be and used my table saw to rip out a forty five degree cut from both sides. This made a V-shape down the center of the bottom of it so it could be glued atop the center support.
Then I just cut the roof pieces and glue them on. These could probably be cut on a table saw, but I used my scroll saw. The section across the peak of the roof and that running along the side of the steeple section have to be cut on a forty five while the rest of it has to be cut at a ninety degree angle. For me it is just easier to do all this on the scroll saw.
You’ll also notice part of the steeple section is done. It is two three quarter thick pieces of mahogany routed on both sides with a roman ogee bit. Between those two is a two inch thick piece that will have windows all the way around it later. The peak of the steeple will later be attached atop all this.
Also, I make the roof out of half inch material instead of the quarter inch that is called for on the pattern. Even though I used beefier supports, I want to accomplish several things. I want a nice appearance, of course. Also though, I want to make sure the roof cannot flex later when I’m clamping things to it. Each side of the roof has five dormers (doghouses, gables, I’ve heard them called several things). I have to be able to clamp these onto the roof later.
I do think the church is turning out nicely. Just wait though. I haven’t even started on the details yet. This project has the ten dormers that each has it’s own decorative gable. It has decorative gable pieces on each side of the roof on each side of the steeple section. It has decorative trim around the front square windows, the round windows on each side of the steeple section, and on the three tall windows on each side. There are also three small decorative windows on each side of the steeple section between the bottom section and the peak section. Thats most of it, but I think you get the idea. Stay tuned. I will update it on every day that I’m able to work on it.