LumberJocks

Little Journey's

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by gizmodyne updated 2120 days ago 4 parts 6499 reads 27 comments total

Part 1: Back Log

2148 days ago by gizmodyne | 10 comments »

Catch upThis is a project I started from quartersawn white oak scraps about three years ago. However, I got involved in other things, so it has been bouncing around in storage getting slightly damaged during the interim. I took it out to inspect it and start the finishing process; aka actually completing the piece.This is from “More Shop Drawings for Craftsman Furniture” by Robert Lange. The Little Journey’s Bookstand was originally made by Roycroft to to hold a set of books...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Fuming!

2141 days ago by gizmodyne | 8 comments »

I had a little more handwork to do on the Little Journey’s Bookstand. I fiddled with the tusks a bit. I originally sanded the piece to 400 but decided to sand to 220 this time. The loose tenons/tusks took forever to sand and detail. Fuming Time I have always wanted to try this. Two years ago I had a student whose dad owned a blueprint shop. He gave me a large bottle of super strength ammonia. I had bought an ammonia respirator in preparation for the job. I build a simple te...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Applying Shellac and Hiding Sapwood

2140 days ago by gizmodyne | 6 comments »

Shellacin’I cleaned up 90% shop dust by vac and broom and then run the overhead air filter for a bit before finishing. I protected the workbench with plastic. The panels are raised up on scrap sticks. You can see a bottle of Transtint (Dark mission brown) in the foreground. I add denatured alcohol to a container and then add the shellac to the consistency of a 1lb or so cut. Very thin. I am padding on the shellac with a clean t-shirt scrap wrapped around another scrap. I also ...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Applying a Wax Finish

2120 days ago by gizmodyne | 3 comments »

I found these photos on my second camera and realized I never wrote about the end of the finish process. Some here might be interested. After the shellac coats dried the top looked like this. The product I am using is a dark brown wax, but I think I may have added a little black dye to it sometime back. I am pretty aggressive with the wax, since my point is to get it into the pores. I have tried squeezing it out from the center of a rag, but I’m not a fan. As it hazes ov...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase