Sorry for the delay. It’s been a busy week.
For all the details, head on over to my woodworking blog . In the meantime… here’s the next set of progress images…
I finish assembling the drawers and fitting them to their bays. Not piston-fit, but as close as I’ve ever come.
I can’t stress how important it is to take your time at this step. Take super light passes off the sides of the drawers and keep retesting the fit to the point of insanity. As soon as you remove too much wood it’s too late and the drawer might have a tendency to jam. There’s a much smaller margin of error than I expected and I had to shim one or two drawer bays to try again.
I start the finishing process…takes about 4 days, but it’s totally worth it. The results are super consistent and look amazing. Highly recommended.
Pre-raise the grain, a crucial step
Drawer finish is complete.
The tape didn’t work as I intended. Some of the dye bled into the maple fibers. If anyone knows a better way to keep the sides of the drawer pristine, I’m all ears. I sanded them a little bit and the paste wax got rid of some, but on a few drawers you can still see the bleed and it annoys me. I’m willing to live with it on this project, but I’d like to know if there’s a better way. Glen Huey just uses his HVLP system and sprays the first 1” of the drawer sides with whatever finish he’s applying to the drawer fronts. I guess most people aren’t super fussy about their drawer sides. If I was just applying an oil finish it probably would have been fine.
In which I retain my title as The King of Broken Screws
This was on the very last brass hook, of course. I drilled out the broken screw, patched the hole and tried again. I’m getting super efficient at this.
I get clever and think up a super simple way to precisely locate the screw hole for this magnet catch
Okay, the next post is the grand finale. I took a bunch of photos tonight and need to get them off the camera. Stay tuned! :)
-- I've been creating problems to solve since I was born.